My Services
How to Pay Your Paul Bunyan Communications Bill
My Billing
My Email

Paul Bunyan Communications is authorized to provide one federally-funded and one state-funded telephone service discount program that are designed to promote universal service by providing low-income individuals with new telephone service installations and monthly telephone service discounts.

The federal Lifeline discount may be used for either broadband or telephone service. TAP is only available for telephone service.

Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) and the Federal Lifeline Programs

You may be eligible for assistance in paying your telephone bill if you receive benefits from certain low-income assistance programs. For more information or an application form, please visit National Lifeline Verifier Services

Minnesota’s Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) offers a monthly credit of $3.50 on your landline telephone service plan. You may receive the TAP credit on one landline per household.

The federal Lifeline Program offers a monthly discount of $9.25 on some landline telephone service plans. Lifeline also offers discounts on some wireless telephone service plans and some broadband internet service plans. You may receive the Lifeline discount on one telephone service per household.

The federal Lifeline Program incorporates the broadband discount (not applicable to TAP).

If you live on Tribal lands, you may qualify for additional discounts. Tribal Lands Link Up offers a one-time credit of up to $100 on installation or activation charges. Tribal Lands Lifeline offers a monthly credit of up to $34.25 on your landline or wireless telephone service plan.

The telephone or broadband service must be in your name. You must show proof that you or a member of your household participates in at least one of the following programs or is income eligible:

  • Federal Public Housing Assistance
  • Food Support/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/EBT)
  • Medicaid/Medical Assistance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension Benefit
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance and living on Tribal lands
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) and living on Tribal lands
  • Tribally Administered Head Start (for those meeting income-qualifying standards) and living on Tribal lands
  • Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF) and living on Tribal lands

If you do not participate in any of the programs listed above, you may qualify if your income is at or below 135% of the 2017 Federal Poverty Income Guidelines: (The federal poverty guidelines are typically updated at the end of January.)

Household Size Income
1 $17,388
2 $23,517
3 $29,646
4 $35,775
5 $41,904
6 $48,033
7 $54,162
8 $60,291
For each additional person, add $6,129

More Information and Application Requests

For more information and to submit an application, please visit National Lifeline Verifier Services